Will work for food

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
..............I worked for this couple 28 years ago and I'm currently replacing the old carpet. I worked for them about 8 years ago installing vinyl flooring in a laundry and bathroom after pouring some self leveler. That's when "will work for food" became my calling card.
Each day I worked, I was asked ...........would you stay for dinner? ...............uuum .........yes? :D

Well, it's the same treatment this go-'round. Today she wanted to feed me lunch. I had to refuse since I already agreed to stay for dinner. I start late, and if I stopped for lunch too, I wouldn't get any work done.
I would have stayed for dinner last night, but I still had to go cut the roll of carpet so I could get it all delivered to the house today.
I have a good 4 days left on this job if the circular stairs weren't excessively stapled. I'm gonna weigh myself after I get the job completed. :eek:

I almost forgot.........
Dinner tonight was lasagna and garlic bread with a beer chaser. She makes everything from scratch. Yum yum. Really neat people too.

At first, I though I might be bragging about my own customers wonderful hospitality.
...but then I suppose you guys probably get the same treatment, right? :D
Yesterday I did get butterscotch chip cookies and a short break about 1 O'clock for coffee and cheddar cheese filled bread puffs.

..............I worked for this couple 28 years ago and I'm currently replacing the old carpet. I worked for them about 8 years ago installing vinyl flooring in a laundry and bathroom after pouring some self leveler. That's when "will work for food" became my calling card.
Each day I worked, I was asked ...........would you stay for dinner? ...............uuum .........yes? :D

Well, it's the same treatment this go-'round. Today she wanted to feed me lunch. I had to refuse since I already agreed to stay for dinner. I start late, and if I stopped for lunch too, I wouldn't get any work done.
I would have stayed for dinner last night, but I still had to go cut the roll of carpet so I could get it all delivered to the house today.
I have a good 4 days left on this job if the circular stairs weren't excessively stapled. I'm gonna weigh myself after I get the job completed. :eek:

I almost forgot.........
Dinner tonight was lasagna and garlic bread with a beer chaser. She makes everything from scratch. Yum yum. Really neat people too.

At first, I though I might be bragging about my own customers wonderful hospitality.
...but then I suppose you guys probably get the same treatment, right? :D
Yesterday I did get butterscotch chip cookies and a short break about 1 O'clock for coffee and cheddar cheese filled bread puffs.

Wrong, garlic breath!! I did when I worked in the farming area in Minnesota. It was basically understood that when you worked in a farmers house you got FED. But when I moved to Michigan you were lucky if they let you use the water closet. "Shitter" for those that don't know what a water closet is.
When we had repeat visits to a customers house you got to know what the menu was. One guy it was home grown steak, another it was chicken with all the trimmings, and another it was roast beef. And there always was homemade pie or cake for dessert.
Farmers eat good!!

Daris

Wrong, garlic breath!! I did when I worked in the farming area in Minnesota. It was basically understood that when you worked in a farmers house you got FED. But when I moved to Michigan you were lucky if they let you use the water closet. "Shitter" for those that don't know what a water closet is.
When we had repeat visits to a customers house you got to know what the menu was. One guy it was home grown steak, another it was chicken with all the trimmings, and another it was roast beef. And there always was homemade pie or cake for dessert.
Farmers eat good!!

Daris

That's the way it's supposed to work. ;)
She asked me as I left today it I'd stay for dinner on Monday. She needed to know because she wanted to make some sort of special desert. I didn't have time for dinner tonight, so Monday will be fine. Had to split from the job for a couple of days, anyhow.
It feels pretty neat to be treated more like a guest than a worker.

Latest posts

Back