Roberts 10-232

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSali

Hello everyone. I received an older carpet strecher from a family member and I was hoping to find out some information about it. I've tried Google but have had no luck.
1000008794.jpg
1000008797.jpg

It is an older junior power stretcher. In the steel case I would say manufactured in the 70's. Most had wooden cases before that. Where you have that iron stored is where there was room for another head. What we called a cotton head, just grippers no teeth. As a collector of old carpet tools I am more interested in the iron. What kind is it? Look on the stretcher head and see if you can't come up with some patent numbers.

It is an older junior power stretcher. In the steel case I would say manufactured in the 70's. Most had wooden cases before that. Where you have that iron stored is where there was room for another head. What we called a cotton head, just grippers no teeth. As a collector of old carpet tools I am more interested in the iron. What kind is it? Look on the stretcher head and see if you can't come up with some patent numbers.
I hope those weighed less than the plywood cases.

1000008809.jpg

1000008810.jpg

I've located the second wood head. Does it appear to be a complete set it? There is a few empty spots for extention poles. The iron is a JetLock smooth bottom.

Attachments

• 1000008809.jpg
    1000008809.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Has that even got 5 years of daily wear on it? The chrome is good, the tube holes aren't elongated.....
Great condition. I graduated HS in 75. I took the stretcher's handle with me to machine/welding shop.
The fulcrum pin on the handle had elongated.
It got tig welded closed, then we re-drilled the hole to the pin size. Grandpa was happy
Very nice tool combo you have there.

The biggest change on Roberts tubes that occurred is that instead of casting the tubes with the holes, like Crain does, they started drilling the holes. This saves cost, but it also has the unfortunate effect of taking the temper out of the steel causing a weak point where you absolutely don't want it. You can see this if you look at a new tube from both. The Roberts will have discolored heat marks around the holes and the Crain tube will not. This is one of the reasons the holes elongate over time. Outside of that, the diameter hasn't changed, and new tubes would fit just fine with this set. Pretty cool find! Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back