Can anyone help me identify this hardwood floor?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Barry

Hello everyone...I am hoping to get an educated opinion from someone who understand the finer characteristics of red vs white oak and help us understand what this is.

I would really appreciate the help as we are have gotten conflicting opinions...with one contractor saying it is red oak and a second claiming it is white.

I sanded the floor down and have read a fair amount about the characteristics of each wood but it is still not clear to me. The first pic is of the sanded floor.

We are installing hardwood in the adjacent rooms and are hoping to come reasonably close on color matching.

Any opinions and information is appreciated. Best to all....!!!
IMG_8314.jpeg
IMG_8317 2.jpeg

Looks like red to me. White oak always looks pale and sickly to me compared to red. I love that you’re saving the hardwood instead of covering it up. Isn’t there some test that can detect the difference between the two types of oak? I would think a true hardwood guy or gal would have one. You’ll also want to match the grade of the wood as well. Maybe time to get a third opinion if the first two don’t agree.

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/distinguishing-red-oak-from-white-oak/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back