Installing LVP Over Existing Flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken57

New Indiana homeowner. House built in 2006. Ranch on a cement slab. glued engineered wood installed between 2015-2020. I would like the same flooring instead of tile / wood combo. Existing glued hardwood (⅜” thickness, aluminum oxide finish, 1 mm top layer, plies 3, same height as tile). I would like to install LVP over the tile floor (622 sq ft.) & glued hardwood (522 sq ft).

Flooring manufacturers instructions state warranty will be voided if I installed LVP over wood laying on concrete slab. I believe the reason is that the new flooring on top would hold in moisture (if any”?) coming in from the slab and not letting the wood floor breath.

Option A (Company A) says $7K just to remove tile/wood then LVP material/install cost.
Option B (Company B) says put LVP over tile and wood after skim coating tile. I ask them about my concern and they stated LVP is floating and not glue there should be no issue.
Option C: Could I remove glued hardwood? But how would I build up that area to get back to tile height before laying LVP. Would not want to use wood and don’t want to use ⅜” of floor leveling..
Option D: ?

Attachments

• Floor A.jpg
    Floor A.jpg
    239.6 KB
  • Floor B.jpg
    Floor B.jpg
    264.3 KB
Rip up the wood floor and install 1/4” backer board to make up the height difference. The mortar underneath the backer board will bring it up to right about 3/8”. That will take care of the wood portion of your job.

Next you’ll want to deal with any high spots and/ or lippage on the tile side. Hand grinder hooked up to a hepa vac takes care of this quite nicely. Now you can fill in any low spots to bring your substrate to be within the flat and structurally sound specs required for your floating floor.

Has anyone figured out a way to float Ceramic Tile flooring yet ? 😜

So C. J. I guess you agree with contractor ‘ A ‘ that LVP ( floating) can’t be installed over glued down wood floors?

One type of flooring in that open space will look great, best of luck Indiana Ken 😜

Has anyone figured out a way to float Ceramic Tile flooring yet ? 😜

So C. J. I guess you agree with contractor ‘ A ‘ that LVP ( floating) can’t be installed over glued down wood floors?

One type of flooring in that open space will look great, best of luck Indiana Ken 😜

There is already floating tile products out there. The individual tiles are set in a plastic grid that snaps together. Grout it when you’re done. Demo is a piece of cake.

What happens when you install a floating floor on top of an existing wood floor (any type of installation) is you end up trapping moisture beneath the floating floor. The wood floor soaks up that moisture and starts to move in response to the new found moisture. If your wood floor buckles, your floating floor is going along for the ride.

Latest posts

Back