What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Router bits are prolly a lot like your bandsaw bearings. They’re cheap but you’ll get a while outta them. Blades, too. I’m not droppin $200 on a blade just to end up cutting MDF or poplar all day long. Not to mention some of them router bits have a crazy price that’ll make you think twice.

Router bits are prolly a lot like your bandsaw bearings. They’re cheap but you’ll get a while outta them. Blades, too. I’m not droppin $200 on a blade just to end up cutting MDF or poplar all day long. Not to mention some of them router bits have a crazy price that’ll make you think twice.
I read a comment about cost.
Guy said, you can buy one good bearing for $8 and it lasts 3 times as long as a cheap one. He added, the cheap ones are $8 for a ten pack.
.......math wins. 😁

I checked the lower 3 bearings this morning. The two side bearings won't rotate. One doesn't move at all and looks like it was in contact with the blade. The other rotated back and forth from 12:00 to 1:00 then stops.
The thrust bearing is set back at least 1/16", so it's still brand new. It's never touched the blade.
I'm assuming the blade is original equipment and the owner never checked or adjusted anything....... just plugged it in and used it. 🙄

I ordered a multi pack of different size bearing off of Amazon. I figured for the amount of times that I would need an odd sized bearing I could afford to use it the few times it will last then toss it when it dies. I swear what you’re routing makes a difference as well. Sometimes I’ll use my hand to cup the router and block the chips from flying everywhere. Those chips are damn hot when they come flying off of the bit. I know that heat fries those cheap bearings in a hot second so I’ve learned to route n rest, route n rest.

Speaking of cheap shit, my wife’s new car still has the cheap ass tires that came with it off the car lot. Those tires squeal when I’m taking a corner. This past week I’ve been really laying into the corner as I am getting on the freeway. It’s kinda fun. Best part is she has a Chevy Spark. That thing has two squirrels and a rubber band under the hood so you don’t really expect the squealing tires. My wife even got a laugh this morning and she doesn’t ever think anything I do is funny.

Here’s today’s pre sunrise for your viewing pleasure.

IMG_0182.jpeg

Mom and Dad had a Dodge Coronet with a 318 and tires that squealed. There was a long slow 90 degree curve and on a warm summers day I could keep the screeching sound through 75% of the curve. I think it's time I messed up.
....they've both passed, so they can't ground me.

The pivoting door is something I saw on one of the DIY or HGTV channels. Fancy. LOL.
I have nothing to contribute to the conversation about bearings.
What is the purpose of the red thingamajig on the drill? Is it to extend the reach like a decking drill/screwdriver or something?

I had a couple of days where I could not stay awake for a full hour at a time. Just racked tf out. I forced myself to do some cleaning and ended up falling halfway into the trashcan and knocking it over. My balance and coordination were absolute ass. I kept having to grab on to things to not fall, kept dropping things, etc. Finally felt a little better yesterday and was able to actually cook on the stove for Mom. Went to use the portable induction cooktop and none of the buttons worked. It was toast. Had a crack along the back and I have no idea how it got there. Fortunately, there was a backup one in a box that I was able to use.

Got up early this morning to look for a couple missing kitties outside. Rupert came over to me and meowed more times in 30 seconds than he usually meows in a week. His outside voice is different than his inside voice. Inside he does a short high-pitched almost chirp. Outside he yowled. I was worried about Boo but he eventually came in so I got him some wet food and he sat on me for a couple of hours. Itsy just ran up and pounced on me. She was all up in my space when I was having breakfast. Tried to steal food off my plate a few times but I blocked her. She will reach with her paw and grab stuff really fast, but fortunately I was keeping an eye on her.

Didn't sleep well last night so I'm probably going to get a nap soon.

I like that DeWalt miter box stand. It was too pricey for me, so I bought a knock off universal stand. It is up in my attic, so I usually just place my saw on a rolling cart. Less work.

I’ve gone through several saw stands throughout the years. I think my first one was an old Delta stand that I mounted my 708 on. Picked it up on CL for Pennies😁. Those sliding miter saws are heavy so my next stand was the Dewalt collapsible stand with wheels. Nice stand except for the work support arms that come with the stand are junk. I got pissed off enough times that those things eventually got thrown away. I ended up making my first miter saw wings to replace those crappy work supports. After awhile I got tired of how much space the collapsible stand was taking up in my van so I sprung for my latest saw stand. I think it was $200 when I bought it. Then you have to buy the mounting clips separately. Another $40, so $250 all in to mount your saw. Gonna be honest, that last $40 for the mounting clips kinda chapped me. Why don’t they come with the stand, or the saw.

Speaking of saws and stands, I’m about to pull the trigger on the compact SawStop. Gonna need a new table saw stand for it. 5 bones plus tax and shipping. So $600 by the time it gets to me? Plus the saw itself, $900, gonna be a full 2K by the time I buy a couple replacement cartridges and a spare blade. Gonna be brown baggin lunches for a while.

Keep me away from harbor freight..... They keep having sales on their good stuff.
This lil bugger was $39 and you got a free 2ah battery. I bought the larger 4ah too.
It's small, fits my big hands great, and is lightweight. I figured it would be great for little stuff, like opening and putting back screws in little stuff like battery chargers, ....blenders, metal cases, sheet metal screws... or whatever. basically, a lazy man's screwdriver.
It had no problem driving a 3 1/4 deck screw into the side of a dry 2x4 😱 Color me impressed.
Next sale will be the larger one.
The HF Hercules line of power tools beat out DeWalt and Milwaukee equivalents in side by side tests on The Torque Test channel. Very nice tools and their sale prices are crazy cheap.

Attachments

• PXL_20240816_041854616.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240816_041854616.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240816_041845738.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240816_041845738.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
This one's next. I'm waiting for a big sale, one with a free battery. I have the 12v / 20v charger and one 4ah battery.
This way I'll have a set of house tools in my lil' backroom shop of horrors and won't have to run out to the truck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240815-214138.png
    Screenshot_20240815-214138.png
    353.8 KB · Views: 0
Keep me away from harbor freight..... They keep having sales on their good stuff.
This lil bugger was $39 and you got a free 2ah battery. I bought the larger 4ah too.
It's small, fits my big hands great, and is lightweight. I figured it would be great for little stuff, like opening and putting back screws in little stuff like battery chargers, ....blenders, metal cases, sheet metal screws... or whatever. basically, a lazy man's screwdriver.
It had no problem driving a 3 1/4 deck screw into the side of a dry 2x4 😱 Color me impressed.
Next sale will be the larger one.
The HF Hercules line of power tools beat out DeWalt and Milwaukee equivalents in side by side tests on The Torque Test channel. Very nice tools and their sale prices are crazy cheap.
Pretty sure the boys on the construction site would have a field day with my ass if I showed up with anything from harbor freight. Public shaming, death threats, tar & feathering 😂

Shit, I needed a driver once and didn’t want to run out to the van. Homeowner had a ryobi within arms reach so I used it. One of my guys took a pic with it in my hand and passed it around. I still hear crap for that. 😂

Latest posts

Back