What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cats decided it was royal rumble day. I went to put out food for them and saw that Yasuke was taking an aggressive stance with Senator Snugglebum. As I opened the pantry door, I used it to shove Yasuke away, but it backed his butt into Mewlatto's face. So Mew took the first swing and slapped Yasuke. I don't know what Mew expected-- I guess he thought Yasuke was going to move away or run away, but instead he spun around and jumped on Mew. Mew screamed like a little bitch. Before I could get close enough, Snugglebum was already on it so he jumped on Yasuke. Mew made a French retreat. Gravy Jones jumped on Snugglebum's back so Snugs was stuck in the middle with 2 cats on him.

Boo (the oldest cat) started hollering but didn't want to jump in-- can't blame him. He's an old cat and he's more attitude than fight. I don't know of Boo was hollering at the cats or at me to tell me to make them stop. I stuck my foot in and managed to get Yasuke detached from Snugs. Princess came over and Yasuke bolted. But poor Princess didn't know how to break up Gravy and Snugglebum. Snugs spun around fast and was tumbling all over the kitchen floor and hallway and Princess did not want to get bitten or clawed-- plus, she couldn't decide which cat to go after since she doesn't have a problem with either of them-- although she does dislike Yasuke.

I managed to pry Snugs and Gravy apart several times but they were so angry they weren't ready to let up and kept jumping back on one another. Gravy was the one who actually did the leaping most of the times. They tumbled into my room. I got kicked in the leg with claws and was telling them to stop it. Got them back out in the hallway when my brother came rushing out. First he tried to grab at Snugglebum but Gravy wouldn't let go. I told him Gravy was the one who needed to be pulled away. So he grabbed Gravy by the scruff of the neck, pulled him up, and I caught Snugglebum to stop him from jumping up. I then picked Snugglebum up and set him on the cat tree to try to calm him down. Don't know where Bro set Gravy but Gravy ran to hide.

Snugs was still huffing and puffing as I tried to get him to calm down, he moved to the top of the fridge to sulk. I went to check on Gravy and he was not wanting to let me pet him. I grabbed him and pulled him closer to me. He struggled a little until I gave him kisses on the top of his head. Then he turned around and started headbutting my face and cuddling me. I smoothed out his fur and got him calmed enough that he wanted to eat. I put out food after trying to calm Snugs.

Got out a comb and got loose fur off Gravy and smoothed his fur out. Biscuits was next to him and wanted to be combed so I combed him. I got Snugs further calmed by combing his head and face. Boo started hollering at me again so I combed his fur for a bit. Then Itsy was hollering at me so I went over to comb her. Lady Sylvanas got jealous and jumped up and shoved Itsy to get between her and the comb. So I combed Sylvanas and Itsy got so jealous she climbed on my shoulder and was cooing in my ear. I combed Itsy more while petting Sylvanas-- although Sylvanas kept reaching up for the comb. LOL.

I eventually set the comb down and went to see if Mom needed anything. I guess Rupert, Ginger, and Bethesda were outside.

TL: DR? Big cat fight followed by combing cats to calm them all down.

At least it wasn't like when the dogs would fight. We had this annoying Russel Terrier named Teena who would start fights with our Akita mutt Brenda. Teena knew that the rottweiler Guy (pronounced Gee with a hard G) would always side with her and would do it to get Guy to attack Brenda. Only reason Brenda survived the throat bites was from having such thick fur I think. Guy would really latch on. I would have to get on the ground and almost lay on top of them to get my body between them and push them apart. Brenda would try to get away from Guy so I just had to keep Guy from jumping back on Brenda. Once I got in the middle, it was easier to get Guy to let go since she never ever bit me. I would have to put a foot against Brenda and shove her away so she wouldn't growl or bark too close to Guy and I would sometimes have to pick Teena up and put her up on the porch and tell her to stay to keep her from re-starting stuff with Brenda. Guy calmed down a lot faster than the cats seem to calm down.

I use turtle wax for my planer bed. Rub it on and rub it off. Never waxed my table saw bed but I could see that being a good idea. I used furniture wax for my miter saw wings but then again those are made of wood so a wood wax makes sense.

Here’s today’s sunrise for you.

View attachment 19685
The back room in my place is my little shop of horrors..I don't heat it, so in the winter it would get a little surface rust. I have a can of slippery spray stuff made for saw blades and table surfaces.
Top cote?
Now, if I can find it. 🤔 It's spendy unless you buy it at Habitat 😁

Wax, some fancy spray or even a smidge of motor oil. Just something to keep the rust from forming will do you wonders. Every once in awhile I would leave my saws set up in my yard if I knew it wasn’t gonna rain. I would have to cover them with a tarp to keep few from settling on them. Maybe a sheet or something thrown over top of your tools would keep the rust at bay.

Bostik must have bought Top Cote. They had a small spray can at one time. It was over $10. It reduces buildup on saw teeth and it's slippery. I used it on my Makita aluminum table saw to make it slippery.

use turtle wax for my planer bed. Rub it on and rub it off. Never waxed my table saw bed but I could see that being a good idea. I used furniture wax for my miter saw wings but then again those are made of wood so a wood wax makes sense.
I used my table saw yesterday and found one half of the table was rusted. It was covered so didn't know it happened, I thought I had it oiled good.

Building a new kitchen cabinet in a trailer that needs some much overdue work done to it. Dude likes the vintage look so we ended up going with a 1/4” sheet of laminated mdf because it matched the best with everything else in the trailer. I made a frame then fastened the laminate skin to the front of it. Drilled some holes, routed some stuff and who knows what else I did but in the end it came out decent and all the drawers slide properly so I’m happy. Gotta make some walnut trim to picture frame the drawers tomorrow.

IMG_0140.jpeg
IMG_0142.jpeg
IMG_0141.jpeg
IMG_0145.jpeg
IMG_0147.jpeg

That looks very cool, CJ.

Speaking of cool, what is NOT cool is my house right now. AC isn't working well. It got up to 76 and its not supposed to go over 70.
Changed HVAC filter, bleach down condensate line, cap on condensate line secured, turned AC off for several minutes and back on again. No luck. Checked that compressor is running outside. Tree is growing over it, but it was running. Need to take that tree out and cut back the weeds around it.

Cats had another fight and broke a glass measuring cup. Haven't picked it up bc I feel like garbage. Ear infection spread to other ear somehow and the gland behind the ear is swollen and sore. Hurts to yawn, chew, and swallow. Had a fever again but it broke. Been sweating and have 3 fans pointed at me now.

Milk went sour so I had to toss it. Need to get more tomorrow. Not looking forward to a grocery trip.

Got in this morning and started working on making trim pieces for the cabinet drawers. Made a test piece outta some scrap maple. Looks good but customer wants a different look. So now I’m making new drawer faces and edge banding the sides. Ain’t no biggie, I love a challenge. Switch gears and bust a move and next thing you know you’re asking yourself why the hell is this guy using the old countertop😂. All I know is people with money are funny.

Anyway, I knew my first drawer faces were exactly where they should be so I made a jig to center the drawers on the new faces with a 1/2” reveal all around. They gotta be exact because when you look at all the drawers installed, any variation will be seen.

IMG_0149.jpeg
IMG_0150.jpeg
IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_0152.jpeg
IMG_0153.jpeg
IMG_0154.jpeg

If you look at drawer #4 in pic #5 vs pic #6 you’ll see it was a bit crooked. Had to take the drawer out and recenter the new face and go at it again. I’ve got 2 pieces of aluminum trim I gotta install on the cabinet edges tomorrow and that’s it, this trailer is outta here!

Vinegar works great Daris. Lay some paper towels over the surface so they overlap a half inch or so. Be neat along the edges, meaning don't let them hang an inch over... Just right even with the edge.
Now drizzle the vinegar over the entire surface, just enough to make it damp. You don't want it dripping off the edges. Use a sponge or maybe a roller.... or your fingers to help even out and get the paper towels to lay flat.
Might even lay some Saran wrap over it, then let it set overnight.
It will turn ugly overnight.... browns and orange.
Remove the paper towels one at a time and use them to rub the residue from the table.
It works really well.
I wiped mine down a few times afterwards with paper towels soaked in warm water. I'd dissolved a bunch of baking soda in the water to neutralize the acid.
Now some clean wet ones, then dry it off.
I did give it a very light scrubbing afterwards with paint thinner and some scotchbrite to even out the color......more dry paper towels, then WD 40 .
Try it on something else that's rusty to see how it works. If you like it, then do the table saw top.

If you look at drawer #4 in pic #5 vs pic #6 you’ll see it was a bit crooked. Had to take the drawer out and recenter the new face and go at it again. I’ve got 2 pieces of aluminum trim I gotta install on the cabinet edges tomorrow and that’s it, this trailer is outta here!
Back to the future.

That's some very impressive router work, sunny boy. (not a spelling error) 👍
What kinda tempate did you make? .....and how do you climb into it at your starting point? I ask because I'm not a router technician. It's very cool.

I measured carpet for a new home yesterday that's under construction. It's ready for the last sanding of the engineered wood floor. I mocked up what I think needs to be done for a carpet edge where it meets the hardwood in the 5 bedrooms. Currently, the wood is cut straight at each doorway, leaving a sharp, square edge. That's not gonna fly with a looped patterned wool.
The wood is currently almost 1/16th over 3/4" thick. It's an 11 or 13 ply 8 inch plank. I'm sure it's over $30 a foot installed. It's ready for a final sand, then finish.
Before they do that, the edges of the 5 bedroom doorways will need a modification to bevel or radius the square edge.
I mocked up the edge after routing with a 1/4 or 3/8 round over bit. That was way to much.
I bought a 1/8" Freud round over bit today... I think $38 🙄
I needed it today, not "overnight"
This is quite a home...... no shortcut whatsoever. 110% won't be enough by my standards.

Attachments

• PXL_20240806_211421023.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240806_211421023.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Here's my mockup with the carpet they chose. I could go a tiny bit higher, raising the tackstrip, but I'm kinda liking it like this. The carpet +pad is parallel with the wood, tho where the tackstrip is, it's ever so slightly lower. I think this will wear better. It's a 32oz synthetic felt pad. Bloomsburg of course recommends their 32oz wool pad. 👍 😉😉😉
I'm leaving this sample for the home builder to show the customer. This is a vacation or second home. The carpet won't be made for a couple of months, so before then, I'm sure at some point they'll fly in to town to check progress on the home and ok what thinkin' here.
I've worked in some nice homes before...... But this place is a real wowza.... actually an Ahooooga!

Attachments

• PXL_20240810_014926696.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240810_014926696.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240810_015029681.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240810_015029681.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240810_015037480.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240810_015037480.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I love using routers. Cleanest and most accurate cut I could get. Jigsaw wouldn’t have cut perfectly straight and prolly woulda chipped in at least a couple places. Skill saw, F that, why not just gnaw at it with your teeth cus that’s what it will look like. 😳

I used a 1/4” flush trim bit to route the openings. I woulda liked to have used a 1/2” bit but I didn’t want to give up 1” of material (1/2” on each side) so I went and picked up a new 1/4” bit just for this task. Smaller bearings can give up the ghost real quick if you really start laying into the cut. The heat from the cut alone will fry that tiny assed bearing before you’re done so spend that $25 and get a new bit.

From the back side of the cabinet face I drilled a 1/4” hole right up next to the cabinet frame. Then I inserted the 1/4”router bit into the hole and let the bearing follow the frame for each opening. It’s an inside cut so you route clockwise. All that extra BS wood you see is just bracing to make sure the inserts stayed put until I was done routing them. Can’t have that shit floppin all over dontcha know.

In the 2nd pic I’m installing the drawer faces. Drawers are already installed. I need to get the face centered exactly in the opening. 1/4” spacers are the perfect wedge for the 1/4” gap. If I did it right there will be an exact 1/4” gap around each drawer face and the pattern lines up perfect. That way even if the drawer is crooked, the face is perfect.

IMG_0142.jpeg

IMG_0145.jpeg

I be impressed. (Practicing equity and inclusion)
....and parentheses 🤣
Even if I knew what I was doing, the first sheet of that pretty wood, would become a template for another project. 😁. It's very nice.

Corian!!! Or maybe another brand of solid surface countertop. This particular one isn’t Corian but I still call it Corian so there you go. This one is really cool. Marble looking and it’s translucent. You can see light through it. Dude is already planning on putting lighting under the lip. Wonder how that will look when it’s done, prolly pretty neat I imagine.

Anyway, cutting this shit stinks. I imagine this is what cancer smells like (like hitting FRP with a torch a little too long, without the burning part. No burning cancer, just cancer). The adhesive smells like a perm.😂 Wear a respirator.

Speaking of adhesive, how often do you guys check the plungers on your guns and oil the shafts. This stuff uses a 10:1 mix so if your plungers aren’t even it could initially affect the mixing ratio pretty significantly. Also, how many of you squirt out a test strip of adhesive? I squirted a longer one than usual this time but that sacrificial strip of adhesive helps to purge any unevenly mixed adhesive before you actually start applying it where you need it. Improperly mixed adhesive doesn’t cure and you won’t know it until your countertop breaks.

Before you start squirting adhesive you better be ready to roll. I test clamp my pieces where I want them and apply blue tape behind them. This helps with clean up. Next I hot glue stop blocks to the blue tape. A quick wipe down of all surfaces to be adhered and it’s go time. Apply adhesive. Place pieces into adhesive. Thoroughly clamp pieces. You can never have too many clamps. Drink some coffee for 10 minutes or so. Touch adhesive. Drink coffee for another 5 minutes. Remove clamps on stop blocks that I hot glued to the blue tape. This is where the magic of the blue tape comes in. Get your putty knife under the blue tape and start lifting. You’ll have to bump the stop blocks with your putty knife when you get to them but they will release and pull up with the blue tape. All that adhesive ooze on the back side gets pulled up with the blue tape as well. Now you just run your putty knife along the back of the self edge a few times for a final clean

Few more minutes and you can remove all the remaining clamps. Now I’m ready to flip the top over and start shaping and sanding it.

IMG_0164.jpeg
IMG_0168.jpeg
IMG_0171.jpeg
IMG_0169.jpeg
IMG_0170.jpeg
IMG_0172.jpeg

IMG_0173.jpeg

Latest posts

Back