What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys ever paint anything black? What a PITA. I made these bench seats for a toterhome. I still have to attach a cleat for the table (that I haven’t made yet) to sit down on. 30” drawer glides for 30” drawers. I attached the drawer fronts today. Don’t touch these things, don’t even look at them! I sprayed them with primer, hit em with 400, sprayed some black, hit ‘em with 400 again then some more black. Then I touched them while they were still a little tacky so I hit them with 400 and sprayed them again. I’m not complaining cus I love my yob but piss on black paint. They do look nice though.

IMG_0093.jpeg
IMG_0094.jpeg
IMG_0128.jpeg

I just thought of the Rolling Stones song "Paint It Black".
Did a gloss black spray on a hood I used to protect the back side of my UPS. I have a photo somewhere. LOL. It turned out fine.

Today we got the vehicles taken care of. Got inspection sticker for the truck. It had a headlight out so got that replaced. Had to take Mom in to get the registration renewed for CRV so it could get inspection sticker. Brother took it to get an oil change. I called him and had to tell him what oil and filter to get. He was looking for it in the store and I said "Look for the M110-A filter and it takes 0W20 high mileage oil". So both vehicles are taken care of and bro renewed registration on his truck (which hasn't run since 2020).

he's still waiting to hear back on the security job.

I also did curbside pickup for school supplies for friend's daughter. He couldn't afford them. For 6th grade they wanted over $70 worth of supplies plus $15 "activity fee". It's absolute BS that they demand that much from parents when the school board gets 3% of the sales and service tax (which is 10.45%). And they get a 3% cut of the sales tax on the supplies parents were ordered to purchase.

Cooked for Mom and fell asleep at my keyboard. Woke up with a headache.

You guys ever paint anything black? What a PITA. I made these bench seats for a toterhome. I still have to attach a cleat for the table (that I haven’t made yet) to sit down on. 30” drawer glides for 30” drawers. I attached the drawer fronts today. Don’t touch these things, don’t even look at them! I sprayed them with primer, hit em with 400, sprayed some black, hit ‘em with 400 again then some more black. Then I touched them while they were still a little tacky so I hit them with 400 and sprayed them again. I’m not complaining cus I love my yob but piss on black paint. They do look nice though.

View attachment 19654View attachment 19653View attachment 19655
You use the same dovetail process that I do. 👍

Highup, I have no idea what that is.

Went to the doctor on Friday. Really wasn't feeling like going because I felt like garbage but figured I could get some medicine. A few days prior a bug flew into my ear and it was itching. Bug was long gone but since my brain knew it had been in there it wouldn't stop itching. I scratched too aggressively with a Q-tip. Doc said the inside of my ear was raw and eardrum was swollen. I also had a fever so its infected. Had to wait until the next day to get my RX. $50 for the eardrops. Ugh. They work for a few seconds to relieve irritation, but it still itches. I'm having to force myself to not touch the ear.

Been stumbling around and feeling like garbage. Fever broke saturday morning and I've been sweating ever since. Taking naprosyn for the inflammation. Still generally feeling cruddy. I was barely able to do laundry and cook. Still had to go get cat food out of the truck because the kitties were adamant that I had to feed them. Boo was worried about me later on and kept checking on me. It reminded me to drink some water.

I also managed to get sweet feed for the cows so they were happy.

As an aside, I'm down to 194lbs now. I'm sure I will get back up to 200 again though.

Last edited:
Highup, I have no idea what that is.

Went to the doctor on Friday. Really wasn't feeling like going because I felt like garbage but figured I could get some medicine. A few days prior a bug flew into my ear and it was itching. Bug was long gone but since my brain knew it had been in there it wouldn't stop itching. I scratched too aggressively with a Q-tip. Doc said the inside of my ear was raw and eardrum was swollen. I also had a fever so its infected. Had to wait until the next day to get my RX. $50 for the eardrops. Ugh. They work for a few seconds to relieve irritation, but it still itches. I'm having to force myself to not touch the ear.

Been stumbling around and feeling like garbage. Fever broke saturday morning and I've been sweating ever since. Taking naprosyn for the inflammation. Still generally feeling cruddy. I was barely able to do laundry and cook. Still had to go get cat food out of the truck because the kitties were adamant that I had to feed them. Boo was worried about me later on and kept checking on me. It reminded me to drink some water.

I also managed to get sweet feed for the cows so they were happy.

As an aside, I'm down to 194lbs now. I'm sure I will get back up to 200 again though.
It's a miter gauge for a saw.
I bought it at Habitat Restore today.
I figured somebody would bite on my price. That's actually what it cost me. I just had to have it.
Keep working on your weight. It will make you feel better. My brother doesn't work..... he's 68. He was gaining weight from not working. About 4 years ago he decided to start walking. Not much, just around the loop where we live. He started walking along the dike, about 3/4 of a mile away...... so that's 1 1/2 miles round trip.
He then walked into town to pick up his prescriptions a few times. That's 2.5 miles.
It's a slow progression to do that, but speed is of zero value.
He dropped 50lbs, looks better, feels better and whenever we are headed home, he always asks me to drop him off. (unless it's night time) .....lions and tigers and bears, oh my 😱
Even if he works with me and we're both tired, he asks me to drop him off a mile before home so he can walk along the dike on his way home.
I'm sure his scenario wouldn't work for you, but 'x' number of laps around or across the property would do the same thing. It's about moving and breathing fresh air, not a competition are achieving a set speed or the distance. If you start out hot and heavy.... or balls out, gung-ho...... you'll get burnt out.
Do baby steps. Little at a time. Set some sort of a daily routine.
5 minutes of walking every day is an accomplishment.

After the loss of 2 good friends in July 2023, I began walking. As said, the first few weeks, it was 1 mile a day. Now, it is a 4 mile a day habit. If I don't get my walk in, my day is off. My cell phone has a GPS walking app, and so far, I've walked 1440 miles this year (this is 3.94 miles a day, dividing by 365). I've lost 50 pounds, but more importantly, my blood pressure is down to normal, and my resting pulse went from 70 to a 56 BPM. With having total knee replacements, this exercise is soft on the knees, and hopefully I can continue forever.

No takers? You guys must be suspicious. 😁
I bought the miter gauge at Habitat for 2 bucks because it's made of aluminum and the markings can be easily read. Might work for my portable Makita table saw.
......I hadn't been to the Pawn shop for a while, so I stopped in to see what was new. There's a window seat type platform about 25 feet long where the show off tools like small compressors, drills, sawzalls, mig welders and stuff like that.
Well, my new miter gauge must have subliminally summoned me to the pawn shop. It was lonely. It wanted a companion.
$160 got me this beautiful new toy. It's a 10 inch, but I can't imagine cutting anything remotely close to that size.
It's clean, no rust and in beautiful condition.
The base is 9" by 16" and it's just under 3 feet tall. It weighs 75#
....so yes, that miter gauge did cost me $162. 😁
I need to figure out a base for it.
I have a friend that welds really nice,
.....but the pawn shop also has a Hobart 125 mig welder for $175. 🤔🫣😁
I had a wonderful Saturday.

Attachments

• 1000002836.jpg
    1000002836.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
No takers? You guys must be suspicious. 😁
I bought the miter gauge at Habitat for 2 bucks because it's made of aluminum and the markings can be easily read. Might work for my portable Makita table saw.
......I hadn't been to the Pawn shop for a while, so I stopped in to see what was new. There's a window seat type platform about 25 feet long where the show off tools like small compressors, drills, sawzalls, mig welders and stuff like that.
Well, my new miter gauge must have subliminally summoned me to the pawn shop. It was lonely. It wanted a companion.
$160 got me this beautiful new toy. It's a 10 inch, but I can't imagine cutting anything remotely close to that size.
It's clean, no rust and in beautiful condition.
The base is 9" by 16" and it's just under 3 feet tall. It weighs 75#
....so yes, that miter gauge did cost me $162. 😁
I need to figure out a base for it.
I have a friend that welds really nice,
.....but the pawn shop also has a Hobart 125 mig welder for $175. 🤔🫣😁
I had a wonderful Saturday.

That’s a score for sure. Nice find!

I found that cutting back on some carbs, not eating as much, and trying to walk around a bit more has helped. I walk in place on the anti-fatigue mat in the kitchen. I can't be out in the heat or sunlight so going outside during summer to exercise is not happening. I miss when I was fit enough to do 200 situps per night and when I could leg press over 230lbs.

I never go to the local pawn shops here-- most of the stuff they are selling is stolen and they overcharge anyway. Wish the Habitat ReStores hadn't all shut down in my area.

I was able to make tortellini last night but was too sick to eat much of it. So Mom had the leftovers for breakfast. My ribs hurt for no apparent reason. Headache is gone, only mild nausea, and I'm feeling more alert.

Cats woke me up this morning claiming they were out of food. Got up and found that their bowls were all still full. They wanted me to go through the motions of feeding them. So I opened the pantry and pretended to put more food out and they were appeased. Although, first thing I sad was "Assholes! You already have food!"

I've used my eardrops twice today (need to use them every 6 hours-- 4 drops 4x daily). They seem to help with the irritation a little. Antibiotics are 2x daily so I'm waiting to take the 2nd dose later on.

That’s a score for sure. Nice find!
The only thing wrong was there's a rack and pinion for lowering the upper guide bearings. The bolt and plastic knob were missing. You don't actually need it because you can raise it by hand, then lock it in place.
I found knob with threaded shaft and gotter all fixed up. I'm looking on their website for the tables center support. I removed the home built one. It was hacked out of plywood and the recess is only about 1/8 inch deep. It's close to 2 3/8" in diameter. It might be easy to make one out of 1/8" steel or aluminum. I've got a grinder and files to fine tune the size and fit it neatly. I'm gonna look for a factory one and maybe that rack and pinion knob too. They might not be all that expensive.
For just quick cuts in my lil' backroom shop, this thing will be sweet. It's too small to use Makita table saw in there.
Yeah the price was a real score.
Here's the Skill version on sale.
It was $7 more expensive than this "like new", used Rikon.
The Skill is usually 199.95 and has plenty of plastic. The Rikon is nicely painted steel with s few aluminum components.
Very cool. I'm one happy camper.

Attachments

• PXL_20240803_230448456.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240803_230448456.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240803_230530550.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240803_230530550.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240803_230457959.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    PXL_20240803_230457959.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
The cast table had some very light surface rust on it, so last night, I laid single sheets of paper towels over it and very lightly added a film of vinegar on it. Just enough to get it damp and not drip off the edges. The paper towels were all orange man color this morning, a good sign. After removing them, I was able to scrub the table with paper towels dipped in a warm water/baking soda combo. Without even requiring Scotchbright pads, the table is going to look brand new, just like the paint on the exterior. There aren't any dents, scuffs or scratches anywhere on this thing. It's really gonna look new.
I'm going over it a second time with the vinegar treatment for an hour an hour or two this morning, then a couple wipe downs with more warm baking soda water, then Brakleen.
I'm giving it a wipe down afterwards with WD 40. Good enough for the moment.
Does any kind of wax work to protect cast iron or is carnuba wax the gold standard?
....I need, like a teaspoon full, not a 16 oz tub. Wonder if dollar tree has something.

I use turtle wax for my planer bed. Rub it on and rub it off. Never waxed my table saw bed but I could see that being a good idea. I used furniture wax for my miter saw wings but then again those are made of wood so a wood wax makes sense.

Here’s today’s sunrise for you.

IMG_0138.jpeg

Latest posts

Back