Thought of the day .

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give Rueben a thumbs up for what he does.
Ok will do 👍👍 nice sharing CFI Master Rueben, 😎 and great perseverance working through the learning curve.

I liked David giving you a shout out for encouraging him to be the Northern version of your YouTube channel 😆 ….. I like David’s phrase’ Fiber Friends’

Tile Tom + ‘ The Breaker ‘ =‘s black 👁️ Karma 😝 ….. The world needs worriers and peace makers 🤔 and sometimes they are one in the same.

Do you give them 3 steps mister ? 🤣
I like to be a nice guy, I really do. But my tolerance for stupid, disrespect & assholes is nonexistent these days. I’m not putting up with the BS.

I’m quick to pull someone’s card for being an ass hat. Especially if I catch someone being an ass to somebody that can’t stand up for themselves. A lesson I’m PROUD to say I’ve passed on to my son. He’s a pugilist just like his old man and looks out for a kid in his school that has autism. My sons 10 and has already handled 2 separate kids that thought they could bully the autistic kid. image000000.jpeg

My sons 10 and has already handled 2 separate kids that thought they could bully the autistic kid.

That’s great Tom and very much needed, but what happens when we run into a crowd of individuals living on a razor’s edge between right and wrong. This type of thinking, becomes high risk for over-reacting. Then add an event that stimulates ‘physical strength ‘over mental strength and we could find ourselves in mortal danger.

Take the recent case in Los Vegas. We will never know the full details because the perpetrators will never fully disclose and the poor victim died. Here’s a quote from a PBS reporter on the incident:

…………………………….
The victim's father, Jonathan Lewis Sr., didn't respond Wednesday to requests for an interview. But on a fundraising page he created to help with funeral and medical expenses, he wrote that his son was attacked while standing up for his friend.

Now, back to my comments:
From the little I read about the victim,
( God rest his Soul ) it sounds like his heart was good, but maybe not the Pugilist training needed, If so, he probably would have stood a chance, BUT ! ! It still would have just been a chance, rather than a higher percentage chance if ‘ Mental Strength’ or analytical thought was activated as the first default function, rather than relying on Physical Strength to achieve a goal, or make a point……… A fight will surely activate the fight or flight brain in most people , and that section of the brain usually does not allow much room , if any for reasoning, creating an unpredictable Outcome.

Last edited:
That’s great Tom and very much needed, but what happens when we run into a crowd of individuals living on a razor’s edge between right and wrong. This type of thinking, becomes high risk for over-reacting. Then add an event that stimulates ‘physical strength ‘over mental strength and we could find ourselves in mortal danger.

Take the recent case in Los Vegas. We will never know the full details because the perpetrators will never fully disclose and the poor victim died. Here’s a quote from a PBS reporter on the incident:

…………………………….
The victim's father, Jonathan Lewis Sr., didn't respond Wednesday to requests for an interview. But on a fundraising page he created to help with funeral and medical expenses, he wrote that his son was attacked while standing up for his friend.

Now, back to my comments:
From the little I read about the victim,
( God rest his Soul ) it sounds like his heart was good, but maybe not the Pugilist training needed, If so, he probably would have stood a chance, BUT ! ! It still would have just been a chance, rather than a higher percentage chance if ‘ Mental Strength’ or analytical thought was activated as the first default function, rather than relying on Physical Strength to achieve a goal, or make a point……… A fight will surely activate the fight or flight brain in most people , and that section of the brain usually does not allow much room , if any for reasoning, creating an unpredictable Outcome.
That’s one of the things I like about you Mike, you make me think about things.

I understand what you’re saying. It is a thin line. But if we don’t stand up for ourselves & others that can’t/wont then who will? The schools wash their hands of it. The popo doesn’t want to be bothered with it. The parents do nothing about it….. we can’t be afraid to take risks and stand up for what’s right. If we wait for someone else to do it for us, we’d be waiting an eternity.

That’s part of the issue with the younger generations. Their soft as baby shit. If you talk to them with an aggressive tone they tear up. That kid that unfortunately died in Vegas should be hailed a hero because he was one. He stood up against an asshole.

Not saying it was the smartest thing to do but it had to be done. He’s a warrior in my book!

But if we don’t stand up for ourselves & others that can’t/wont then who will?

That’s the point, use analytical strength working with and for the majority. If we empower 1 out of 10 children, the bullying continues with minimally disruption , but If we empower 8 out of 10, it becomes a maximum effort. Then chances are the 2 bullies may become disenfranchised to even continue.

It’s all about not making it easy, through strategic words and confident attitude , rather than bullying the bully. Every human being deserves a chance to change and wouldn’t it be nice to give that to them, not because they deserve it, but because we do. …… Let’s call it ‘ Respectful Redirection ‘ …… Its a firm but respectful way of speaking that informs others about a behavior that’s imposing upon living in a safe environment.

Now ! I’m going to paint a potential picture…. Young Fred is being bullied walking to class and he’s whimpering, trying to get away, and not defending himself in any mental or physical way. His only hope now is Tile Toms son, who has good morals and the physical training to step in and help. Now picture Fred, after gaining analytical skills to speak up against bullying behavior. He’s not whimpering but standing his ground and asking them to stop, stop, stop. He continues with more direct messages backed with a confident voice. Now ! ! Not only is Toms son on his way, but many others who were on the fence become activated to engage, and probably in the same mental strength manner.

Now ! ! If physical action becomes required, chances are this group will stand shoulder to shoulder with the person who showed them what courage SOUNDS LIKE, FIRST 😎

Last edited:
That’s the point, use analytical strength working with and for the majority. If we empower 1 out of 10 children, the bullying continues with minimally disruption , but If we empower 8 out of 10, it becomes a maximum effort. Then chances are the 2 bullies may become disenfranchised to even continue.

It’s all about not making it easy, through strategic words and confident attitude , rather than bullying the bully. Every human being deserves a chance to change and wouldn’t it be nice to give that to them, not because they deserve it, but because we do. …… Let’s call it ‘ Respectful Redirection ‘ …… Its a firm but respectful way of speaking that informs others about a behavior that’s imposing upon living in a safe environment.

Now ! I’m going to paint a potential picture…. Young Fred is being bullied walking to class and he’s whimpering, trying to get away, and not defending himself in any mental or physical way. His only hope now is Tile Toms son, who has good morals and the physical training to step in and help. Now picture Fred, after gaining analytical skills to speak up against bullying behavior. He’s not whimpering but standing his ground and asking them to stop, stop, stop. He continues with more direct messages backed with a confident voice. Now ! ! Not only is Toms son on his way, but many others who were on the fence become activated to engage, and probably in the same mental strength manner.

Now ! ! If physical action becomes required, chances are this group will stand shoulder to shoulder with the person who showed them what courage SOUNDS LIKE, FIRST 😎
The big problem is changes in society over time.

Your scenario is for our time period, the 70's.
Kids today whip out their phone hoping to record a fight to post on social media. No way kids today will stand up against the bully....
...ok, maybe in small communities. They will literally film until the helpless body gets cold.
That never happened when we were in school.
Social media and the internet is the best and worst thing to ever happen to civilisation.

I like to be a nice guy, I really do. But my tolerance for stupid, disrespect & assholes is nonexistent these days. I’m not putting up with the BS.

I’m quick to pull someone’s card for being an ass hat. Especially if I catch someone being an ass to somebody that can’t stand up for themselves. A lesson I’m PROUD to say I’ve passed on to my son. He’s a pugilist just like his old man and looks out for a kid in his school that has autism. My sons 10 and has already handled 2 separate kids that thought they could bully the autistic kid. View attachment 17958
Here ya go.

Ok will do 👍👍 nice sharing CFI Master Rueben, 😎 and great perseverance working through the learning curve.

I liked David giving you a shout out for encouraging him to be the Northern version of your YouTube channel 😆 ….. I like David’s phrase’ Fiber Friends’
I never knew he responded. 😳. The videos and comments are all one year ago.

When it’s 28 degrees out that means every damn tool I own is also 28 degrees when I pull it out of my van in the morning. What do you guys do to warm up your tools. I thought about putting a space heater in my van.

What do you guys that live in cold areas do.

When it’s 28 degrees out that means every damn tool I own is also 28 degrees when I pull it out of my van in the morning. What do you guys do to warm up your tools. I thought about putting a space heater in my van.

Cold months, I try to cut, deliver materials and tools the day before or the afternoon before.

I moved away, F all that..........frozen concrete, FROZEN buckets of glue, trecherous road conditions, no where to cut roll goods.......?????? Sure as heck wouldn't like to be lumping it (piece work) with those odds stacked against you.

We deal with it. 😂

I put my hand tools on the heat registers for a few before I touch them.

We have propane or kerosene heaters to warm up the inside but that doesn’t help at all when my saws are bone cold to begin with and then have to be set up outside to boot. I do like the sun and the view when I’m cutting outside, especially when we’re workin on the lake, but my hands got so dang cold the other day from touching my saw that I had to purposefully stop and warm up my hands for a few before I could go on. Maybe I had I good when I was layin floors and just didn’t know it.😂 Nope, I take that back, I remember having to fill up my tile saw with hot water so it wouldn’t freeze my hands while cutting outside in the snow.

Cold metal is just a fact I have to deal with right now. Anybody ever use them Hot Hands hand warmers? Or how about the rechargeable magnetic hand warmers on Amazon. Just thinking of a quick boost of warmth to get the blood flowing and feeling back in the fingertips. A Fanny pack style warmer like the football players use? Or maybe I just need a better pair of gloves. The trade off is that thicker, warmer gloves like that are a PITA to try and do finish carpentry while wearing.

Maybe I just need to buy a suburban with the rear heater right about now. Blast that thing all the way to work and I should be good to go by the time I get there 😀

Got a full bottle of juice ready to go. It’s 28 degrees like everything else in there. lol.

IMG_3912.jpeg

We have propane or kerosene heaters to warm up the inside but that doesn’t help at all when my saws are bone cold to begin with and then have to be set up outside to boot. I do like the sun and the view when I’m cutting outside, especially when we’re workin on the lake, but my hands got so dang cold the other day from touching my saw that I had to purposefully stop and warm up my hands for a few before I could go on. Maybe I had I good when I was layin floors and just didn’t know it.😂 Nope, I take that back, I remember having to fill up my tile saw with hot water so it wouldn’t freeze my hands while cutting outside in the snow.

Cold metal is just a fact I have to deal with right now. Anybody ever use them Hot Hands hand warmers? Or how about the rechargeable magnetic hand warmers on Amazon. Just thinking of a quick boost of warmth to get the blood flowing and feeling back in the fingertips. A Fanny pack style warmer like the football players use? Or maybe I just need a better pair of gloves. The trade off is that thicker, warmer gloves like that are a PITA to try and do finish carpentry while wearing.

Maybe I just need to buy a suburban with the rear heater right about now. Blast that thing all the way to work and I should be good to go by the time I get there 😀

Got a full bottle of juice ready to go. It’s 28 degrees like everything else in there. lol.

View attachment 17966
It gets down to -30 here sometimes. I start my van an hour before I leave and just let it get warm.

I just bought a tabletop dry saw a few months ago. Won’t work on large format but will be good for 12x12 or smaller. At least I can cut inside though.

I also have a trailer to set the saws up in and run a small salamander in it. It works great except for anything over 12’.

We just adapt man. It sucks for sure but gotta make the doughnuts!!!🍩

The EEOC is going after some moving company in California because he only hires people who can lift and carry boxes and furniture. I wonder when they will go after flooring companies who only hire people who can do the work? I only hired one woman in 40 years, she was the only one who could pick up her end of a roll of carpet.

View attachment 17966
Get one of those weed burner attachments for the propane tank, then dump your tools on the driveway when you get to work, hit em with the torch, then toss em back in the tool box.

The EEOC is going after some moving company in California because he only hires people who can lift and carry boxes and furniture. I wonder when they will go after flooring companies who only hire people who can do the work? I only hired one woman in 40 years, she was the only one who could pick up her end of a roll of carpet.

I’ve had guys work for me that couldn’t pick up their end of a roll of carpet😂

I’ve only seen a couple female flooring installers in all my years. None that I would want to mess with either, except for tile installers, I’ve seen a few hot female tile installers. Some years ago I had an Asian gal that I would call from time to time and all she did was hang cove base for me. Can’t remember what her real job was but hanging cove base was her side gig and she was good at it too. All them stupid BS corners in kitchens, she made them look good.

I see female workers all the time these days and sometimes it throws me for a loop. I walk in the house and smell cotton candy. Of course I’m thinkin where’s the strippers at as I’m reaching for my wallet then boom I see a 50ish year old Mexican woman up on a ladder.

I can’t complain though cus I’ve worked with a lot of stinky mofo’s over the years. Besides that everybody gets along. Seriously, how you gonna be mean to a workin woman that smells nice?

Latest posts

Back